Macomb County Veterans Services is an IRS VITA partner, a 50-year-old federal tax preparation assistance program that provides support to:
- People who generally make $58,000 or less
- Persons with disabilities
- Limited English-speaking taxpayers
- All Veterans
Before going to a VITA or TCE site, see Publication 3676-B PDF for services provided and check out What to Bring to ensure you have all the required documents and information our volunteers will need to help you.
Macomb County Veterans Services is seeking volunteers to help Veterans and low-income individuals prepare their taxes this season. Those interested can call Laura Rios at 586-469-6507.
Individuals wishing to volunteer through this initiative are asked to have the following abilities/qualities:
- Basic computer skills and familiar with adobe acrobat
- Basic knowledge of filing personal income taxes
- Friendly and personable
- No felony arrest or convictions
- Current driver’s license or state identification card
- Can commit to one 4-6 hour shift per week
The 12-week program will run from January 19 to April 15, 2023, operating out of nine locations across the county, with the main hub at the Macomb County Family Resource Center (196 North Rose Street in Mount Clemens). Day shifts and evening shifts are available.
Individuals who sign up to volunteer must attend two training sessions at the center on December 3 2022 from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and January 21, 2023 from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. The following training will be provided:
- Basic federal tax law training
- Advanced federal tax law training
- State law training
- Standards of conduct and ethics