Skip to main content
Email Subscription

To sign up for email updates from Macomb County or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your email address. If you would like to subscribe for text alerts please select Text Updates in the drop-down menu.

Veterans' Services

Are You Aware of Your Veteran Burial Benefits?

Veterans who have received a discharge other than dishonorable are eligible for certain burial benefits. Each benefit has specific requirements. Our office is here to help you in filing for your benefits. Please stop by our office on Wednesday from 8:30am to 11:00am and from 1:00pm to 3:00pm and please bring with you:

  • Discharge or separation papers (DD Form 214) (Report of Separation)
  • Death certificate
  • Itemized funeral bill (with Payee’s name)

The following are veteran benefits that the Macomb County Veterans Office will assist you with:

  • Burial in a National Cemetery – Our closest national cemetery is Great Lakes National Cemetery in Holly, MI. For more information call: 1-800-535-1117.
  • Head Stone or Bronze niche for cremations – The veteran’s family may request a head stone even if the remains have been cremated.
  • Presidential Memorial Certificates – This is an engraved paper certificate signed by the current president to honor the memory of the honorably discharged deceased veteran.
  • Flag Case – The veteran must have served for more than 90 days of active duty and 1 day during a war time period and be a Macomb County resident. Expires 2 years after date of death.
  • Flag from the VA to cover casket – Provided by the VA directly or the funeral home.
  • County burial allowance – This is used to off set the cost of the funeral. The veteran’s assets at death must be less than 40K (not including their primary residence), the veteran must have served for more than 90 days of active duty and 1 day during a war time period and be a Macomb County resident. This benefit expires 2 years after death. Next of Kin making the claim must have paid expenses out of their pocket.
  • Federal burial allowance – This is used to offset the cost of the funeral. A veteran who is receiving a VA pension or is receiving a service connected disability allowance are eligible for this allowance. In addition to the above documents please bring in a VA Claim number, marriage license, or amount veteran was receiving by check.

*Applications are taken by appointment only. For more information or to set an appointment call 586-469-5315.

For More Information call: Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.

Macomb County Veterans Services
21885 Dunham, Suite 3, Clinton Township, MI, 48036